A study suggested that on average, children laugh around 400 times a day and adults only about 15 but did you know that laughing can be good for your health?
Here are five reasons it’s worth making laughter part of your self care regime:
1) Laughter gets you energised. When you laugh you breathe in more oxygen which is one of the three vital components for healthy cell function and repair.
2) Did you know that 10-15 minutes of laughter can burn approximately 50 calories? It also acts as a mini internal workout exercising your diaphragm, abdomen, shoulders and even your heart.
3) It’s a great stress buster. Laughter stimulates production of endorphins which are the body’s natural health and happiness enhancing hormones. It also strengthens your immune system by increasing the number of antibody producing cells in your body .
4) A study of people with diabetes looked at the effects of laughter on blood sugar levels. The group were all provided with a meal and then asked to attend a boring lecture. The following day the group ate the same meal and then watched a comedy. Despite having eaten the same meal in both days the group had lower blood sugar levels after watching the comedy than they did after watching the lecture.
5) Laughter reduces the level of stress hormones like cortisol, adrenaline and dopamine which in turn can help us relax and even sleep better.